What is Women’s ROGAINE®?
Women’s ROGAINE® products are the first FDA-approved topical treatments clinically proven to regrow hair in women. Women’s ROGAINE® products come in two forms: 2% Minoxidil Topical Solution and 5% Minoxidil Topical Foam.
How do Women’s ROGAINE® products work?
In hereditary hair loss, a combination of heredity, hormones, and age causes a progressive shrinking, or miniaturization, of certain scalp follicles and a shortening of the hair's growing cycle. Eventually, there may be no growth at all. The exact mechanism of action of ROGAINE® products is uncertain. However, researchers believe that ROGAINE® products work in part by lengthening the time that hair spends in its active growth phase, and by restoring the size of the miniaturized hair follicles so that they can return to producing thick, long hairs. With more follicles in the growth phase at the same time, it is possible to see improved coverage of the scalp.
Are Women’s ROGAINE® products right for me?
ROGAINE® products are used to treat hereditary hair loss in women over the age of 18 years. The checklist below will help you determine if ROGAINE® products are right for you.
- Members of your immediate family or extended family, male or female, have experienced hair loss.
- You have noticed a gradual thinning of the hair on the top of the scalp which may be most noticeable around the part and sometimes may be more extensive near the front of the scalp, forming a pattern similar to an evergreen-tree shape.
- Your hair loss resembles the images shown below:
If there is no family history of gradual thinning or gradual hair loss, or hair loss is patchy, see your doctor.
Will Women’s ROGAINE® products work for me?
The amount of regrowth is different for each person. When using Women’s ROGAINE® Foam, results may be seen as early as 3 months with once daily use. For some women, it may take at least 6 months for results to be seen. You may need to use Women’s ROGAINE® Solution 2 times a day for at least 4 months before you see results.
Not everyone will respond to Women’s ROGAINE® products. The response to Women’s ROGAINE® products cannot be predicted. No one will be able to grow back all their hair. To see your best results, make sure you apply the product directly to the scalp as directed.
How is the Women’s ROGAINE® Foam different than Men’s ROGAINE® Foam?
Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Foam is a once daily hair re-growth treatment indicated and labeled specifically for women and FDA approval of the product was based on the safety and effectiveness profile demonstrated in clinical studies of once-daily use in women experiencing for Female Pattern Hair Loss. In contrast, Men’s ROGAINE® Foam is a twice-daily hair re-growth treatment indicated and labeled specifically for men and FDA approval of the product was based on the safety and effectiveness profile demonstrated in clinical testing of twice daily use in men experiencing Male Pattern Hair Loss. As always, we recommend following the labeled dosage when using any ROGAINE® Minoxidil product.
What are the most common side effects of Women’s ROGAINE® products?
- Some people may experience a dry, itchy scalp and irritation of the treated area. Stop using and ask a doctor if irritation persists.
- Some people have experienced changes in hair color and/or texture.
- Women’s ROGAINE® Foam contains alcohol, which can cause burning or irritation of the eyes or sensitive skin areas. If Women’s ROGAINE® Foam accidentally gets into these areas, rinse with large amounts of cool tap water.
- Infrequent cases of unwanted facial hair have been reported in women. If you develop unwanted facial hair while using Women’s ROGAINE® product, stop use and see your doctor. Any unwanted hair will usually disappear when use of the product is discontinued.
Can Women’s ROGAINE® products produce unwanted hair?
Unwanted hair growth has been reported on the face and other parts of the body with ROGAINE® use. The unwanted hair growth may be cause by the transfer of Women’s ROGAINE® product to areas other than the scalp, or by absorption into the circulatory system of low levels of active ingredient, or by a medical condition not related to the use of Women’s ROGAINE® products. If you experience unwanted hair, discontinue using Women’s ROGAINE® products and see your doctor for recommendations about appropriate treatment. After stopping use of Women’s ROGAINE® products, the unwanted hair, if caused by the use of Women’s ROGAINE® products, should go away over time. You can take steps to decrease the chances for unwanted hair growth:
- Limit the application of Women’s ROGAINE® product only to the scalp,
- If you use the hands to apply Women’s ROGAINE® product, wash your hands thoroughly afterwards and
- Allow sufficient drying time before going to bed (usually 2 to 4 hours before going to bed after applying Women’s ROGAINE® products).
What is the shelf life of Women’s ROGAINE® products?
The shelf life of the Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol is two years, and the shelf life of Women’s ROGAINE® 2% Minoxidil Topical Solution is five years.
Are there any medications that may interact when I'm using Women’s ROGAINE® products?
You should not use ROGAINE® products if you are using other topical medicines on the scalp. There are no commonly recognized drug interactions associated with medications taken by mouth and the use of ROGAINE® products. You should ask your doctor if you are concerned that a medication that you are taking may interact with ROGAINE®.
Can I use ROGAINE® products if I’m pregnant or nursing?
Do not use ROGAINE® products if you are pregnant or nursing.
How often do I need to use Women’s ROGAINE® Products?
Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol should be applied once-a-day, and may be used morning or night.
The Women’s ROGAINE® 2% Minoxidil Topical Solution should be applied twice-a-day.
When using Women’s ROGAINE® Foam, results may be seen as early as three months when used as directed. For some women, it may take six months of once-daily use for the foam or 4 months of twice daily use of the solution for results to be seen. You may need to use Women’s ROGAINE® Solution 2 times a day for at least 4 months before you see results. Women’s ROGAINE® products will not work faster or better if used more than directed. More frequent or larger doses have not been shown to speed up hair growth.
How do I apply Women’s ROGAINE® products?
5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol:
- This product should be used once daily, every day.
- To be effective, it is important to apply the product directly to your scalp and not to your hair so that it can easily get to your hair follicles to help regrow your hair.
- There is no need to shampoo your hair before using the product. If you wish to shampoo your hair before applying Women’s ROGAINE® Foam, towel dry your hair so that the skin on the scalp is dry.
- To open the container: Hold ring. While holding ring, twist cap to line up the arrow on the ring with the arrow on the cap. (Figure 1 below) Tilt cap back and pull off cap.
- The foam may begin to melt on contact if your fingers are warm. Rinse your fingers in cold water first before dispensing. Be sure to dry them thoroughly before handling the foam.
- Hold the can straight upside down, press nozzle to dispense half a capful of the foam onto a non-absorbent surface (Figure 2 below). The total amount of foam applied should not exceed half a capful.
- Within your hair thinning areas, make a center part to help maximize scalp exposure. Part your hair at least two more times on each side of the center part (Figure 3 below).
- Using your fingertips, spread just enough foam over the hair loss areas and gently massage the foam into the scalp starting from the back to front (forehead) direction (Figure 4 below). Use until all the foam is gone.
- After each use, thoroughly clean and dry the dish or saucer if used.
- Wash your hands well with soap and water after applying.
- To close the container: Place cap on container and snap into place. Be sure arrows do not line up so cap remains child resistant.
2% Minoxidil Topical Solution:
This product should be used twice daily, every day.
To be effective, it is important to apply the product directly to your scalp and not to your hair so that it can easily get to your hair follicles to help regrow your hair.
Directions for Use:
- Remove the overcap.
- Remove the inner cap. To remove, push down and turn in direction of the arrows on the cap.
- Part your hair in the areas of hair thinning/loss. Follow the instructions below for using the dropper applicator and apply one mL 2 times a day directly onto the scalp in the hair loss area. Do not use more. Spread the liquid evenly over the hair loss area. If you use your fingers, wash hands with soap and water immediately. Each bottle should last about one month, if used as directed. Use a mild shampoo if you wash your scalp before applying ROGAINE® Topical Solution.
Using the Dropper Applicator:
- Squeeze the rubber bulb and insert the dropper into the bottle. Release the bulb, allowing the dropper to fill to the 1mL line. If the level of the solution is above the 1mL line, squeeze the extra amount back into the bottle.
- Next, place the tip of the dropper near the part of the scalp you want to treat and gently squeeze the bulb to gradually release the solution. To prevent the solution from running off the scalp, apply a small amount at a time.
- After each use attach the dropper to the bottle to make it child-resistant by turning it clockwise until tightly closed.
How soon can I expect results?
Since normal hair usually grows only 1/2 to 1 inch per month, hair regrowth with Women’s ROGAINE® products also takes time. At first, hair regrowth shows up usually as soft, downy, colorless hair. After further use, new hair should develop having the same color and thickness as other hairs on your scalp. It takes time to regrow hair. Results with once-daily use of Women’s ROGAINE® Foam may be seen as early as 3 months, and for some women, it may take at least 6 months for results to be seen. You may need to use Women’s ROGAINE® Solution 2 times a day for at least 4 months before you see results. If you do not see any results after 6 months of once-daily use of the foam or 4 months of twice daily use of the solution, stop using Women’s ROGAINE® products and seek the advice of your doctor.
Your results and success may depend on proper application and dosage; remember to apply Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Foam once-a-day or Women’s ROGAINE® 2% Minoxidil Solution twice-a-day, every day, directly to the scalp.
The images below demonstrate effects of continued use of Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Foam for 6 months in a clinical study. Clinical studies show that with once daily use of Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Foam for 24 weeks, 81% of women regrew hair*.
*Results based on a 6 month clinical study of once daily use of Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol vs. Placebo. Use as directed.
Is there a way to know that Women’s ROGAINE® products are working?
There are a few signs that let you know ROGAINE® products are at work to reactivate your hair follicles. For example, during the first few weeks of use, there may be a temporary increase in hair shedding for up to 2 weeks. This increase in hair shedding is expected and is temporary, and it is a sign that the new growth cycle is beginning and the older hairs you would have lost are making way for the new healthy ones. If this hair loss continues after 2 weeks on ROGAINE® products, talk to your doctor. As ROGAINE® continues to reactivate inactive follicles and stimulate re-growth, the increased shedding should gradually subside and you should see less hair in your brush, on your pillow, and in your drain. Remember, not everyone responds to ROGAINE® products and individual results may vary.
I just started using Women’s ROGAINE® products and I've noticed that my hair loss has increased. Is this typical?
ROGAINE® products stimulate hair follicles to shift from the resting phase to the growth phase. As part of this process, it is not uncommon to see a temporary increase in shedding during the first 2 weeks using ROGAINE® products. This occurs in some people when the hair follicles shift into the growth phase and older hairs are shed to make way for new actively growing hairs. It is a bit like losing baby teeth to make room for adult teeth. This increase in shedding is only temporary and should subside within a couple of weeks with continued treatment. Women should not panic if a temporary increase in hair shedding is noticed. Please note, however, if increased shedding continues for longer than two weeks, you should consult your doctor to rule out other possible medical problems.
What can I expect my newly grown hair to look and feel like?
At first, hair growth may be soft, downy and colorless hairs. After further use, the new hairs should be the same color and thickness as the other hairs on your scalp. Since normal hair usually grows only ½ to 1 inch per month, hair regrowth with ROGAINE® products also takes time. To see your best results, always apply as directed on the product label.
Getting the Most from Rogaine Products
Thinning hair from hereditary hair loss is completely common and something that women can experience as early as their 20’s becoming more visible through their 40’s. While prevalence varies, hereditary hair loss occurs in over 1 out of 4 women, and becomes more common with age.
Is all hair loss the same?
Although most cases of hair loss are attributed to hereditary hair loss, there are several other possible causes:
- Hereditary hair loss is known as androgenic alopecia and is a genetic condition that shortens the time that hair spends actively growing and causes hair follicles to gradually shrink. Women with hereditary hair loss experience a general thinning of the hair, with the most extensive hair loss occurring on the top of the head and along the part. The number of women with this type of hair loss increases with age, but it can start as early as her 20’s. Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Foam is only indicated to treat hereditary hair loss.
- On the flipside, temporary hair loss, known as telogen effluvium, happens when stress, diet, a hormonal imbalance or a traumatic event causes the hair follicles to remain in the resting state, causing increased hair shedding and a temporary thinning of hair across the whole scalp. While the amount of time someone stays in telogen effluvium varies, once the imbalance has been corrected hair will return to its previous thickness.
- A third kind of hair loss is called alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder that is recognized by well-defined patches of hair loss, which may happen rapidly and could lead to complete hair loss. If you have no history of hair loss in your family and are experiencing this kind of hair loss, consult your doctor.
Is hereditary hair loss the same in women and men?
Women experience a general thinning of the hair, with the most extensive hair loss occurring on the top of the head and along the part. Often the hair loss experienced by women resembles an evergreen pattern.
In men, hair loss is characterized by a receding hairline and a gradual disappearance of hair from the crown (vertex).
What is considered normal hair loss?
Most people normally lose between 50-100 hairs a day, which is replaced with new hair. A consistent loss of 150 hairs a day may indicate significant hair loss
Can stress cause hair loss?
Everyday stress does not cause hair loss. However, extreme stress (i.e. from a physical trauma) can cause a temporary hair loss, called Telogen Effluvium. Telogen Effluvium is limited and temporary hair loss that will grow back on its own. Other factors such as hormones from pregnancy or a thyroid condition, crash dieting, and certain medications also may cause Telogen Effluvium. See your doctor if there is no family history of gradual hair loss, or hair loss is sudden and/or patchy, or if you feel that your diet may be causing your hair loss.
Does exposure to the sun make hair thinning worse?
No, the sun will not make hair thinning worse, but it is a good idea to protect your scalp from the sun with a hat or sunscreen.
How long should I continue to use Women’s ROGAINE® products?
Hereditary hair loss is a lifelong condition so continued use of ROGAINE® products is necessary to increase and keep your hair regrowth, or hair loss will begin again. There is no duration restriction for use of ROGAINE® products.
What happens if I see new hair growth and stop using Women’s ROGAINE® products?
Continued use of ROGAINE® product is needed to maintain hair regrowth. If you stop using it, the normal hair loss process will start again. You will probably lose your newly regrown hair within 3 to 4 months and will look the way you looked before using ROGAINE® products. So, you'll want to make ROGAINE® products part of your daily routine.
I missed a dose of Women’s ROGAINE® product. Will my hair loss start again?
If you miss 1 or 2 doses of Women’s ROGAINE® product, just continue with your next regular dose. We do not recommend that you try to make up for missed doses. One or 2 days of not using Women’s ROGAINE® product will not affect your long-term hair regrowth as long as you resume regular use.
Will using Women’s ROGAINE® product more than directed speed hair regrowth?
Using more product than directed or using the product more often will not improve results.
Why does Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol need to be dispensed onto a non-porous surface before applying to the scalp?
Women’s ROGAINE® 5% Minoxidil Topical Aerosol is a foam that breaks down with body heat. By dispending the product onto a non-porous surface it will give you the time needed to apply the product properly to the scalp without compromising the integrity of the formula. The surface should be non-porous so the foam is not absorbed by the surface.
Hair Styling Tips
Can I still use my regular styling aids, like hair spray or gel, when I’m using Women’s ROGAINE® products?
Unlike cosmetic thickeners which just coat hair and temporarily mask the issue, Women’s ROGAINE® Foam helps by regrowing thicker, fuller hair. You can follow your normal hair care routine when using ROGAINE® products. Just be sure to apply your ROGAINE® product first and wait for it to dry before applying your styling products.
Can I apply Women’s ROGAINE® products to wet hair?
It is recommended that you at least towel dry your hair before applying Women’s ROGAINE® products, so that your hair is no longer dripping and the skin on your scalp is dry.
Can I blow-dry my hair after applying Women’s ROGAINE® products?
Yes. It's fine to blow-dry your hair, however, we recommend using your dryer at a lower setting. Be careful not to over blow-dry.
Can I get my hair wet after applying Women’s ROGAINE® products?
Not for at least 4 hours. For Women’s ROGAINE® products to work best, you should allow the product to remain on the scalp for four hours prior to washing or wetting your hair.
Are Women’s ROGAINE® products safe to use with permed or color-treated hair?
Yes. Women’s ROGAINE® products can be used on both permed and color-treated hair. We have no evidence that coloring, perming, or using relaxers on your hair change the effect of Women’s ROGAINE® products. However, because the use of permanent wave and hair color can cause scalp irritation on certain people, we recommend the following precautions:
- To avoid possible scalp irritation, you should make sure all of the Women’s ROGAINE® product has been washed off the hair and scalp before using color or perm chemicals.
- For best results, do not apply Women’s ROGAINE® product on the same day that you use a chemical treatment on your hair.
- Do not use Women’s ROGAINE® product for 24 hours after using any chemicals to make sure your scalp has not been irritated by the perm or color treatment. If no irritation occurs, continue use of Women’s ROGAINE® product as usual.
- Simply restart your normal Women’s ROGAINE® product routine. There is no need to use more Women’s ROGAINE® product to make up for missed applications.
Missing one day of Women’s ROGAINE® products will not affect your hair regrowth results.
Does coloring or highlighting hair contribute to further thinning?
Coloring or highlighting hair does not contribute to hereditary hair loss, which is the cause of hair loss in over 90% of cases. You should consult with your doctor is if you are concerned that hair coloring chemicals may have caused or contributed to your hair loss.
Are there special shampoos or conditioners that I should use if my hair is thinning?
You can follow your normal hair care routine when using Women’s ROGAINE® products. You should use a shampoo that cleanses your scalp well and a conditioner that is light and won't weigh down hair. However, if your scalp is dry and flaky, we recommend the use of a mild, gentle shampoo.